How to clean microfiber cloths for glasses
Have you ever thought about washing the cloth you use to clean your glasses? We bet you’ve only done it once or twice; if at all.
We all know that the lenses of glasses need to be cleaned regularly in order to keep them in good shape. But if you have to keep replacing your dirty microfiber cloths, then that can get expensive too.
Here’s a quick guide on how to clean microfiber cloth for glasses.
In this article:
- Quick reminder: How to clean your glasses and the importance of your microfiber cloth
- The steps for effectively cleaning your microfiber cloths
- Tips for extending the life of your microfiber cloth
- How to choose the best microfiber cleaning cloth for your glasses
- Pamper your cloths: pamper your glasses
Quick reminder: How to clean your glasses and the importance of your microfiber cloth
We don’t necessarily think about it until there are giant flecks of dirt floating in front of our vision, but regularly cleaning your lenses is very important. It extends the life of your glasses; helps you avoid scratches and keeps everything clean. Remember, they are touching your face after all.
But as a quick recap, there are 2 simple steps:
- 🚿 Rinse your glasses with clear, cold or warm water, to remove dirt that could scratch the glasses.
- 🖐️ Grab your microfiber cloth, and rub gently while drying the glasses.
You can also buy special glasses cleaner if you’re feeling extra fancy, but make sure you’re still using your microfiber cloth. No matter how tempting it is to just reach for the end of your shirt.
There is a reason for this.
As soft as your clothes may feel, they don’t measure up to a microfiber cloth. Fabrics can be abrasive and cause scratched lenses or damage their coating, and removing scratches isn’t easy.
Microfiber cloth, on the other hand, is perfectly soft and the best friend of your pretty glasses… as long as you take care of them both! They’re the perfect team.
If your cloth is dirty, however, it won’t be long until your lenses are dirty too.
Quick steps for effectively cleaning your microfiber cloth
When it comes to cleaning your microfiber glasses cloth you have two options: hand wash or machine wash. Each of these methods has its advantages and disadvantages.
🧼 Hand wash your microfiber cloth
Hand washing is often considered the gentlest and most effective method. And it’s fast too, so you can get back to Zelda quickly.
- Preparation for washing: Gather your dirty microfiber cloths and place them in a clean sink or basin. Shake them one by one to remove the dust first.
- Choice of detergent: Opt for a special hand wash detergent or a mild soap specially designed for microfibers. Avoid products containing bleaches or fabric softeners, as they can damage the fibers.
- Washing: Fill the sink or basin with warm water and add a small amount of detergent or dish soap. Immerse the microfiber cloths in soapy water, let them soak for a few minutes and rub them gently to remove dirt and residue.
- Rinse: Rinse thoroughly with clear, cold water to remove any detergent or soap residue. Make sure there is no more foam before moving on to the next step.
- Drying: gently drain your cloths to remove excess water. Then, lay them flat on a clean surface to air dry. Avoid direct exposure to sunlight, as this may alter their texture.
Hand washing is ideal for preserving the quality and effectiveness of your microfiber cloths. It allows gentle cleaning without the risk of damage. It’s quick and simple to do, the only downside is you have to expend a little effort when doing things manually.
Machine wash your microfiber cloth
If you’d rather let your machine do the hard work for you, you can choose to use it instead. However, it’s important you take a few precautions first to prevent it from damaging your microfiber cloths.
- Separate your fabrics: Wash microfiber cloths separately from other clothes and linens. This avoids the deposit of fiber from other materials. Don’t worry, we're not telling you to do an entire machine wash for just three cloths. You can separate them from the rest by...
- Using a wash bag: A delicates wash bag will do the trick to protect your cloths. You can even bring out your inner McGyver by putting your microfibers in a knotted pillowcase, if you can't find your laundry bag anymore.
- Program selection: Use a gentle, short wash program with lukewarm water. Avoid intense programs that could damage the fibers.
- Use a mild detergent: Opt for a detergent specially designed for delicate fabrics or a mild detergent without aggressive agents.
- Drying: Avoid the dryer, as the heat can damage the fibers. It’s best to air dry them by laying them flat on a clean surface.
Tips for extending the life of your microfiber cloths
Microfiber cloths are your glasses best friend, and by extension, your best friend. Sorry Steve. It is therefore in your best interest to take good care of your microfiber lens cleaning cloth!
Here are some simple tips for prolonging their lifespan and effectiveness:
🧸 Delicate pre-cleaning
Before each use on an eyeglass lens, gently shake the microfiber cloth to remove dust particles and other impurities. This preventive action means a little less dust embedded into your cloth, and will also stop these elements from scratching your eyewear during cleaning.
☠️ Avoid harsh chemicals
To keep your cloths effective, avoid using harsh chemicals when cleaning. Simple clear water or, if necessary, a product specially designed for microfibers will do the job perfectly.
🏆 Remember to regularly check in
Make a habit of washing your microfiber cloths regularly, especially if you use them frequently. Proper maintenance ensures their long-term effectiveness.
👓 The rag is only for glasses!
Only use your microfiber cloth to clean your glasses. Avoid using them for other household chores, or to clean your dirty fingerprints off your phone screen, as this may affect their effectiveness.
How to choose the best microfiber cloth for your glasses
To ensure the microfiber cloth can remain effective for a long time and that it can withstand thorough washing, we recommend choosing a high-quality fabric. This makes it easier to keep your glasses as clear as clean as the Magic Mirror, and saves you money in the long run as it won’t need to be replaced as regularly.
📈 Choose a high fiber density
A microfiber cloth with a high density of fibers is more able to absorb and remove dirt and grease (no doubt brought on by your dirty fingers). This guarantees clean glasses and doesn’t leave streaks or lint.
📉 Checks the fineness of the fibers
Choose a microfiber cloth with extra-fine fibers, as this will allow you to reach the most difficult to clean corners of your glasses. Thicker fibers may leave marks, snag on frame parts, or fail to clean delicate areas effectively.
⬛ Favors seamless edges
Seamless edges reduce the risk of scratches on your lenses and ensure gentle and even cleaning. Look for a microfiber eyeglasses cleaning cloth with laser cut edges to avoid any snags or damage.
Choose the right size
Size might not matter elsewhere, but it does for microfiber fabric! Choose an appropriately sized microfiber cloth for easy handling and effective cleaning. A standard size of around 15cm x 15cm is generally recommended for practical use.
Pamper your cloths, pamper your glasses: Final thoughts
Your glasses need special attention, and that includes regular cleaning of the microfiber cloth that pampers them with their own little cleanliness massage.
Keeping your microfiber cloths clean and in good condition is essential to ensure effective cleaning without scratching your glasses lenses.
By using the above techniques to keep your microfiber cloths clean, you can extend their lives and continue to enjoy crisp, clear vision with every use.